20 July, 2024

Yet more trim, and the mysteries of Sheet 19

 Not much to report as I am bogged down in finishing trim.  I prepared the cornicing for the house and also stained the newly arrived skirting board and dado rail.  And I painted some wood 'beams' in preparation for applying them to the attic ceiling.


I had been putting off the horrors of the window trim from the kit, but I need to get it onto the house before I can tackle the exterior finishes.  In addition to the 18 sheets of crappy diecut plywood in the kit, there are two extra sheets in better plywood numbered 19, and a paper note explaining that all the trim for the windows has been moved from the older sheets onto the new sheet 19s, apart from the exterior window trim.  There is a layout diagram for sheet 19, but it is unlabeled.  


Also, despite the new sheet 19s, there are still a lot of older window trim pieces  on the old sheets, and these are labelled on the schematics.  So I punched out all of the pieces from the two sheet 19s and used the schematic labels to try to work out what went where.  I ended up having to trace off the various window outlines from the house, so I could compare trim pieces to the contours to match up the various location pieces.  Somehow I was still short by one external tower  bay window hood and one external tower bay sill.  I had an extra sill for the bedroom window for some reason so I cut that down to be the right size for the tower.  For the hood, I traced off another one onto some scrap plywood and cut it out on my fretsaw.  I was also short of a couple of side trim pieces and internal sills so had to use some of the rotten pieces from the older sheets - literally delaminating as I punched them out so I had to glue them back together.


Finally I had dozens of trim pieces sorted out and could apply filler to all the edges.  Then that all needed to be sanded down and now I am applying the first coat of paint.  All very laborious, plus one of the side trim pieces had a hidden rotten spot and snapped in half as I was painting it. It would have looked better to stain the interior trim for some of the rooms, but I don't think this wood would look that great particularly the end grain, so I'm just going to paint it all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by to comment! Please note that if your Blogger settings are set to 'no reply' then I won't be able to respond.