15 July, 2024

Attic - flooring, skirting, wallpaper borders, applying centre roof and tower ceiling

Attic floor

 I'd bought some Victorian floor boards from Dolls House Mouldings and decided to use these in the attic.  I wanted a shabby chic effect as if the existing attic floor boards had been sanded and then whitewashed.  So I sprayed the boards grey, and then whitewashed them with white acrylic paint: wiping a dilute coat on, and then dry brushing for more streaks - finishing with matt spray varnish.  That turned out rather well, so I went ahead and fitted them to the attic.  Right away the room looked so much better, turning it from cheap plywood to a finished surface.



Attic skirting

With the floor in place, I could cut and apply the skirting.  The bay window was a bit tricky: by math, I think the angle should be 22.5 degrees but then this kit isn't that precise.  I found a big plastic protractor in my stash that I don't remember buying, but by clamping that to my sander, I could grind an approximate 20 degree angle which worked well enough.  I need to touch up the joints with some paint to make them look better.


Wallpaper border

Because of all the angles in the attic, I had to think where to apply border.  I knew I wanted to conceal the tops of my false walls.  I consulted with DH who thought that keeping the border horizontal was better than trying to run it at an angle.  So I ran it across the back of the room, level with the wall between the main room and the bathroom, along the tops of the false walls, around the top of the tower, and along the skirting in the bathroom. (the raw edges of the tower will be hidden by trim, and also the ceiling joins.





Applying centre roof and tower ceiling

With the bulk of the interior work done that needed access, I could glue on the tower ceiling (also visible in the picture above) and the centre roof insert (weighted down to keep the glue joints tighter).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by to comment! Please note that if your Blogger settings are set to 'no reply' then I won't be able to respond.