30 June, 2024

Step D (porch) and modifying Step E (tower), decisions re step F (roof)

 Step D porch

I followed the instructions to construct the porch assembly using my pre-painted pieces.  With the porch floor in place, I could start dry-fitting the tower pieces.


Step E Tower modifications

I finished prepping the tower pieces by filling the edges of the window cut-outs and sanding smooth.  Then I could do a dry fit of the tower pieces. I found the sides of the bays only went in one way, they weren't interchangeable in terms of tabs fitting into slots.  They are also a little taller than the other pieces which is intentional according to Step E:5.


I have never liked how the tower walls cut down into the attic room.  It's ugly, and unrealistic, yet I haven't found anyone online who has modified the design to eliminate the interior support walls. I punched out the roof pieces so I could get an idea of how it all worked.


No house would look like this on the inside:

It seemed like there were two choices: either cut the tower sides off in line with the roofline, or, build additional interior walls to block off the under-eave space and turn the tower into a sort of dormer.  I decided to go with cutting off the tower sides.  I'm not even sure they will need additional support because the shorter pieces will be glued into the tower structure and into the roof, and they only need to support the tower roof which won't be that heavy.  But it may need some reinforcement so external pressure (say, applying shingles) on the roof, doesn't pop the glue joint, I'll have to think about how to do that.

The new tower shape:


With the modifications made, I have started on the steps of E to glue the tower pieces into place.  I've had a look at a few other blogs, I might try decorating the tower with siding and shingle bands.


Step F Roof

As stated above, I punched out the roof pieces to dry fit them around the tower. But also to understand how the space works, because I haven't found any clear pictures online of how the roof works, how the two spaces connect, or what the roofline looks like from above.  As it turns out, the two roof spaces not only connect, the passage is high enough for my scale doll to stand up in. So I think I'm good to add an interior wall and turn the smaller roof into an ensuite.  Because even though I already have a bedroom all planned out for the first floor, the big attic space with tower is just begging to be a master suite.  Maybe the first floor can be the guest room. Of course, there will be no obvious way to access the attic floor, I think it has to be an imaginary staircase in the part of the house that has been cut off the reveal the interior.  


The roof pieces fit together fairly well apart from one misaligned slot on the Right Large Roof.


Here are some pics of the roof interior and exterior.  You're welcome.

The connecting passage

The two roof spaces

The complex roofline with three roof ridges and tower

So I've put the roof pieces to one side until I get the tower built.  I need to think about a decoration scheme because the attic will  be a complex space to apply wallpaper to, it might be better to do something before the roof is glued on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by to comment! Please note that if your Blogger settings are set to 'no reply' then I won't be able to respond.